Here is a post card showing the “Croton River, from Quaker Bridge, where Washington’s Army Crossed.” Below is a post card from the same period, showing what Quaker Bridge looked like at the time.
Except for the unpaved road and the railing it looks the same as it does today, because our beloved Quaker Bridge is one of Westchester’s oldest surviving bridges, built in 1894.
The view from the bridge appears to be looking upriver, toward the New Croton Dam, showing what the river looked like long before the dam was built at Black Rock Park.
Although the label on the card states that this is where “Washington’s Army Crossed” the Croton River during the Revolutionary War, the exact location of the “New Bridge”—as it was called when it was built in 1779—has not yet been determined.
Click on the images to enlarge them.