Sixty-nine years ago today, on April 1, 1948, the postal service officially added hyphens to the cancellation stamp for what had been the “Croton on Hudson” post office. The transition was recorded on this pair of envelopes, called “commemorative cacheted covers”, inscribed by Croton postmaster Augustus W. Dymes, Jr.—the uncle of Croton’s current Village Historian, … Continue reading Croton-on-Hudson Gets Hyphenated, April 1, 1948
Croton filmmaker, journalist and history-buff Ken Sargeant has shared with us a disk of images he acquired many years ago when he was doing some work with the late Roberta Arminio at the the Ossining Historical Society. Ms. Arminio was a long-time director of the OHS, as well as the Ossining town and village historian. … Continue reading Croton’s First Train Station
Here is a detailed map of what Croton looked like in 1872. Known then as Croton Landing, the village consisted mainly of houses and businesses along what we know today as Grand Street, Brook Street, and Riverside Avenue. If you look at the top left side you can see that Riverside Avenue got its name … Continue reading Croton Landing, 1872
Detail of the Croton area from Colton's Map of the County of Westchester. Drawn, Engraved and Published by G.W. & C.B. Colton & Co. 182 William St. New York. 1886. The entire map is available online at David Rumsey Map Collection.
Detail of the Croton area from the Travellers' Guide of the Hudson River. Published by H.B. Kirkham, for the Proprietor, and for sale on all the Steamboats, and at the principal Hotels in the United States, 1848. The entire map is available online at David Rumsey Map Collection.
Details of the Croton area from An Improved Map of the Hudson River, with the Post Roads between N. York & Albany. Published by S. Mahon & Co. Drawn & Engraved Expressly for the Tourist. 1830. The entire map is available online at David Rumsey Map Collection.
Detail from the Atlas of Westchester County, New York. From actual surveys and official records by G.W. Bromley & Co., Civil Engineers. Published by Geo. W. & Walter S. Bromley. 243 Broadway, New York. 1881. The entire atlas is available online at David Rumsey.
A diagram of a brickmaking machine manufactured by W.E. Tallcot & Co. at Croton Landing in the late 1800s. This image and the ad below are from A Practical Treatise on the Manufacture of Bricks . . . by Charles Thomas Davis, published in 1884.
"No Overburnt Brick" An ad from the Real Estate Record and Builders' Guide, July 6, 1889.
An ad for the United States Brick & Enameling Company at Croton Point, from Real Estate Record and Builders' Guide (v. 34, no. 851: July 5, 1884)