A Different View of the Double Arch

Double Arch circa 1925 French Hist Westhcester_619

In 1925, when Alvah P. French published his multi-volume History of Westchester County New York most of the photographs he included were contemporary, showing the county as it was in the 1920s.1 One can imagine a photographer, driving all over Westchester with a list of historic sites, stopping to take this unusual view of Ossining’s famous Double Arch. Is that the photographer’s car?

For more traditional images, see this post, celebrating the recent restoration of the Double Arch promenade.


  1. French left us more than his book. The Westchester County Historical Society has his “42 volumes of scrapbooks filled with clippings from Mount Vernon and other Westchester newspapers. The clippings, which cover the period from about 1880 until 1920, include obituaries, marriage notices, biographical sketches and other articles about the people of Westchester.” See the “scrapbooks” descriptions here.

Celebrating Ossining’s Double Arch

scan2860

The promenade across Ossining’s famous Double Arch has been restored and will be reopened on Saturday, July 20, with an event taking place from 4 to 6 pm. To celebrate, we’ve assembled a group of images relating to this famous local landmark.

On May 21, 1839, the Westchester Herald said the “stupendous arch” over the Sing Sing Kill would be “the most astonishing specimen of the art and ability of man to be seen in this section of the country” and they correctly predicted that it would “become an object of admiration to every beholder.”

Thanks to the following people and institutions for supplying images:

Click on any image to enlarge it!