The Gardens of Van Cortlandt Manor, 1930

OFEO-SG-NY001001-619px

These beautiful glass lantern slides show the gardens of Van Cortlandt Manor in 1930, when the property was still owned by Van Cortlandt descendents.1 The photographs are from the Garden Club of America collection in the Archives of American Gardens at the Smithsonian Institution.

The Smithsonian's website states that "the Garden Club of America was established in 1913 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania . . . Its purpose is to foster the knowledge and love of gardening and to restore and protect the quality of the environment through educational programs and gardening and conservation efforts. . . . The GCA's glass lantern slides were used by the GCA for presentations and lectures about notable gardens throughout the United States dating back to colonial times."

OFEO-SG-NY001002-619px

OFEO-SG-NY001003-619px


  1. The manor passed from the Van Cortlandt family in 1945. In 1953, John D. Rockefeller purchased it and began a restoration. The restored manor house was designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1961.

Van Cortlandt Manor Ferry House

Van_cortlandt_manor_ferry_house

This postcard shows the Van Cortlandt Manor Ferry House, circa 1907.

Ward Carpenter Survey of the Lower Croton River, 1871

Cartwright_1871_detail_1_notes

Annotated detail from the survey “The Easterly shore line of the Croton River, from Deer Island to Crawbucky Point, Ward Carpenter & Sons, 1871”. Click the images to enlarge them.

Cartwright_1871_detail_2_notes